Wednesday, June 22, 2011

So that's the difference!


I've heard of the mellotron and the chamberlin, of course - they're used by some of my favorite groups and performers - but I'd never really grasped what I was hearing when I listened to them, as their individuality tends to be lost in the group performance. They're not solo instruments. I've always wanted to hear them on their own, to get a better idea of their sound.

My curiosity was satisfied this morning when I found this video journal from singer Tanita Tikaram. I enjoyed learning more about these instruments, and I hope you will too.







For those who don't know Tanita Tikaram, she sprang to prominence in Europe in 1988 with her first album, 'Ancient Heart'. Here's a hit single from that album, 'Twist In My Sobriety'. It's one of my favorite songs. Listen closely . . . it repays careful attention.







Lovely, isn't it? You'll find many more of her songs on YouTube, where she also has her own channel. Recommended listening.

Peter

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Interesting voice and a good song! Thanks!