Sunday, May 27, 2012

A South African scandal acquires a US dimension


Readers may remember that a few days ago, I commented on a scandal in South Africa involving art, politics, nudity and a bunch of other issuesSome South African sources have even begun referring to it as 'Penisgate', in an obvious reference to an earlier and much more widely known political scandal.  (If you're not familiar with the issue, I suggest you read the earlier article before continuing with this one.)

South African satirists and cartoonists have been thoroughly enjoying themselves, with some wonderful examples of the genre appearing in recent days.  The latest adds a US political dimension that had me laughing even harder!  I don't have any way of linking to this specific cartoon directly, as the strip (Madam & Eve) doesn't provide direct URL's;  so I've taken the liberty of reproducing it here under the provisions of US non-commercial 'fair use' copyright law. (Open the image in a new tab or window for a larger view.)







Those who aren't familiar with South African history (particularly the racial segregation policies of apartheid), politics and culture may not 'get' all of the nuances of the cartoons;  but if you enjoy barbed wit in a South African context, I recommend Madam & Eve for your daily reading pleasure.

Peter

1 comment:

trailbee said...

I had read the first one a couple of days ago and then finished here. My immediate reaction was: Are there people like ours in other parts of the planet? Good grief! And then there is Mr. Hatchet in TN. who is so smart, he just makes those sweet little kiddies and NEVER marries anyone. Why become a bigamist and spent time in lock-up. Oops, I forgot, that's where he is right now. Africa and America - see a similarity? :)