Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Looks like I've bought my last GE product


It seems General Electric - or rather its capital and banking arm - has decided that guns are icky, nasty things, and wants nothing more to do with them.  MarketWatch reports:

General Electric Co. is quietly cutting off lending to gun shops, as the company rethinks its relationship to firearms amid the fallout from the school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

This month, Glenn Duncan, owner of Duncan’s Outdoor Store in Bay City, Mich., said he received a letter from GE Capital Retail Bank in which the lender said it had made “the difficult decision” to stop providing financing services to his store. Other gun dealers have received similar notices.

There's more at the link.

GE is, of course, free to do business with whomever it chooses.  So am I.  However, if GE is going to disassociate itself from firearms-related businesses - businesses with whom it had been happy to associate in the past - I take that as evidence of the company's indirect opposition to the Second Amendment.  I further note that GE's Chairman of the Board and CEO, Jeffrey Immelt, is closely aligned with the Obama administration.  I presume he's fully in step with the latter's anti-firearm and anti-Second-Amendment agenda.

I'll therefore be disassociating myself from GE products and services.  I invite my readers to consider doing likewise.

Peter

10 comments:

Peter said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. Please check your email.

instinct said...

Haven't bought GE crap in years because of that jackass in charge.

Sevesteen said...

Is there a current connection between GE capital and whoever owns the GE name for appliances? I'm short on time to look it up, but I seem to recall that the consumer brand was sold off years ago.

Rey B said...

Funny that, while in the Navy I spent a week working with a GE instructor learning all the intricacies of the M-61 Gatling gun and associated loading system as it applied to General Dynamics Close In Weapon System. The joke in the shop was "GE we bring good things to killing! We bring ways to deal death!" Needless to say black humor is a trait common to many branches of service.

perlhaqr said...

So am I.

Dreamer. GE Capital is "too big to fail", I'm sure.

Dirk said...

I've been done with 'em for a few years because their quality level had dropped off so badly.

Be sure to write 'em and tell 'em why you're quitting them, too.

Anonymous said...

Peter,

I'll add this to the long list of companies to boycott, but is there a list of PRO-gun/2A companies? Not simply neutral, but actively supportive?

Antibubba

davidc said...

I had to replace my fridge back in late December, a 36 year old Amana by the way ! Did a deal over the phone for a new one to fit a small space with a bottom freezer, wound up with a GE ! I won't buy anymore of that brand !!

Anonymous said...

It really is to bad that there is not an effective way to organize the shrinking silent majority into effective boycotts. The left has had some limited success in targeting advertisers in certain media venues. Although a few of us will actively avoid GE products, the real power would be in large, organized numbers.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

For tax purposes, they aren't a US Corporation. Doesn't stop them for hollering for US intervention to save their offshore assets.