Monday, June 3, 2013

Doofus Of The Day #706


Sean over at 'An NC Gun Blog' has a horror story about an instructor who seemingly couldn't or wouldn't pay any attention to the most basic firearms safety rules, precautions and guidelines.  Having trained at many shooting schools on two continents, and being a multiply qualified firearms instructor myself, I can tell you I got cold shivers reading his account.  Go read the whole thing for yourself, as well as his father's brother's corroborating testimony.

After reading Sean's report, I can only say that I won't even consider taking a firearm training course from Lethal Weapons Training Academy in Pennsylvania.  Instead, I can only confer upon them a Doofus Award.  I trust my readers will draw their own conclusions.





Peter

5 comments:

Sherm said...

Brother's corroborating testimony.

And I think it'll leave a mark.

Old NFO said...

Concur, somebody WILL get shot sooner or later...

Sean D Sorrentino said...

the corroborating testimony was from my brother, Brian. Thanks for the link.

skreidle said...

I read it -- great, if appalling, read -- but now "This post is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:"

Any info on why it went private? Legal/libel issues, perhaps?

Sean D Sorrentino said...

Skreidle: No, there were never any legal/libel issues at all. I have not been threatened in any way. Plent of people have called me a chicken for not accepting getting a safed gun pointed at me, but no one has threatened me legally.

The bottom line is that this was causing more trouble than it was solving.

http://www.ncgunblog.com/2013/06/06/gun-school-post-has-been-made-private/

That, plus it was made quite clear to me that my behavior at the class was in need of improvement. I think that at this point, we should let it be like football, penalties offset.

The basic disagreement is, when can you point a firearm at another person. I think that the answer is "so rarely that it is easier to say 'Never' and discuss the extremely rare exceptions when they come up. And not at a level 2 pistol class." The instructor felt that the answer was "If I clear the firearm and have it checked by two people, it's a dead gun and therefore safe."

I think that people should make up their own mind on that.