Thursday, June 20, 2013

In praise of Ka-Bar knives


I've used blades in the military and as a civilian in Africa for many years.  Since coming to this country I've not needed to use them as hard or treat them as badly as I did in Africa, but a good blade still forms part of my everyday carry gear.  One that I learned to respect was the US Marine Corps fighting knife known universally as the Ka-Bar.  I saw my first one in 1976, in the South African armed forces, in the hands of a former US Marine who'd come to that country after serving in Vietnam because he couldn't settle down in what he called the 'peacenik' USA, and wanted to go on 'killing Commies'.  (He had plenty of opportunities open to him.)

I was intrigued to come across this promotional video for the company, describing its origins and its most famous product.  Yes, it's basically an advertisement for them, but their blades are iconic to American fighting men, so I don't mind giving them a bit of free blog airtime.





I'm glad to see they're keeping the old traditions alive.  The USMC somehow wouldn't be the same without the Ka-Bar fighting knife.  (Yes, I own one myself.  Why do you ask?)

Peter

6 comments:

Toejam said...

It's a fine instrument alright.

Although some Brit friends of mine say the Fairbairn-Sykes is superior in reality the F-S is nothing more than a pig-sticker. Try opening a C-Rats can with one.

I've seen dude dig foxholes and hammer steel tent pegs with the Ka-Bar and it didn't even wind up with a scratch.

I got "bar" within an arms reach.

I keep the blade honed just in case my Gillette razor gets lost.

Old NFO said...

Good knives, and they WORK! Can't ask for much more than that...

Noons said...

Finally got one last year, after much hesitation. It is indeed a very nicely made knife. Don't leave home for any camping or outback trip without it now. The perfect complement to my sacred war-machete from East Timor.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Have several of different sizes. My Army son took one with him to Afghanistan.

Rev. Paul said...

My Ka-Bar is on my belt anytime I leave the pavement. Had it for over 30 years, and it's still the best knife I've ever owned.

Stretch said...

I've 2. One in car and one strapped to my Go Bag.