Monday, June 13, 2016

A techno-rock equivalent to 'Bolero'?


Regular readers will know that I'm a big fan of Mike Oldfield's music, and have been since he released his first album, 'Tubular Bells', in 1973.  I bought it at once, and I've bought every album of his since then.

I've enjoyed his double album 'Light & Shade' since its release in 2005.  It consists of two different styles of music, the first album being more along the lines of 'classic techno-rock', the other more 'high energy Ibiza rock'.  Both are interesting listening.  One of the tracks on the first of the two albums is 'First Steps'.  It builds to a crescendo from simple beginnings, and I find it very enjoyable.  I've struggled for some time to figure out why I like it so much, and today it came to me;  it's like a rock equivalent to Ravel's Boléro, which also builds to a crescendo by repeating the same theme over and over, drawing in more and more instruments and getting louder and louder.

Try it for yourselves.





Mmmm . . . definitely one of my favorite tracks from the album.

Peter

7 comments:

Bob said...

I didn't discover Oldfield until I was in the Navy around 1982, but I've been a fan ever since. Yah, that's one of my favorites, also.

Bob said...

I'd be inclined to call Oldfield my favorite rock guitarist, along with David Gilmour and Ritchie Blackmore.

Mogrith said...

Tublar Bells was the first record (yes record) I ever bought. (still have it) I prefer his longer length pieces but 5 miles out is one of my fav's

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, Mike Oldfield is musically brilliant. Batflap crazy, but brilliant.
Have a listen to Pink Martini's version of Bolero. Different.

- Charlie

Henry said...

It's always nice to find another Oldfield fan, especially one who has followed his music as long as I have. You've convinced me to give Light & Shade a closer listen, as it's not one been one of my favorites of his albums (Incantations is my absolute favorite).

BTW, Oldfield is in post production for Return to Ommadawn (it being the 40th anniversary of the original release). I think he's aiming for an August release.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Tubular Bells and torture my poor wife on long drives by playing the cd over on over. (Are those cave men grunting honey?)

You might like Jean Michel Jarre's Equinox. The first song on the album has that Bolero feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAhgz9aLukk

Gerry

Evyl Robot Michael said...

I'm not familiar, but the track is nice. The instrumental layering is great.