Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A new album from Mike Oldfield


I was horrified to learn that Mike Oldfield turned 60 last year.  I've followed his music ever since his first album, 1973's 'Tubular Bells'.  To realize that it's been over 40 years since then makes me feel terribly old . . .

He's just released his latest album (which is also his 25th studio album), 'Man On The Rocks'.  It's a return to his rock roots, and brings in several other musicians to play and sing his music.  I recently bought it, and I've been greatly enjoying listening to it and getting to know his 'new sound'.  (Every Oldfield album is a 'new sound', because he's constantly experimenting and developing new aspects of his music.  All of them reward intensive listening.)

Here's the title track.





And here's Mike Oldfield and singer Luke Spiller talking about the album.





The album's available on YouTube, as are all its tracks individually.  Thumbs up from me.

Peter

4 comments:

Able said...

Thank You so much for making me feel old(er)!

I still listen occasionally to the iconic Tubular Bells but never erally got into his other work.

For me, Mike Oldfield is primarily known for introducing the world to Maggie Reilly, now there's a lady with a beautiful voice.

Old NFO said...

Thanks, I'll totter on over... sigh

Bob said...

+1 on Maggie Reilly. And, coincidentally, I was listening to Pandora last night and they played a Reilly-era Oldfield tune, then a tune by Blackmore's Night that sounded quite similar. Probably why I like Blackmore's Night so much.

Anonymous said...

[redacted] years ago, Mom Red observed, "You know you are getting old when the rock stars of your youth are breaking their hips." I believe it was Mick Jagger falling off his library steps that inspired the observation. As a wise LittleRed, I just made a noncommittal noise of agreement.

LittleRed1